This second part of the Rainbow Meals series is one of the best recipes I have stumbled upon lately. A twist from the classic vegetable fried rice, packed with loads of vegetables that taste better with brown rice than white rice! How many times does that happen?
Usually when you go out to a restaurant, vegetable fried rice is practically all rice with few color pops of tiny cabbages and carrots. I feel its called vegetable fried rice just to differentiate it from the with-meat/with-egg fried rice on the menu! The flavors of soy sauce and chilli garlic sauces make-up for the taste, but definitely not the health.
Instead of replicating ‘restaurant style vegetable fried rice’, try this flavor rich, nutrition rich, 5 color eye pleasing recipe! Trust me you will fall in love and make it a weekly staple
Recipe: Coconut Veggie Brown Rice, Indo Chinese Style
Prep Time: 10min | Cooking time: 30min | Serves 2 BIG bowls
- 1 cup brown rice (cooked)
- 4 cups of chopped colorful vegetables (1 medium carrot, 5 florets of cauliflowers, 5 florets of broccoli, 5 cubes of pumpkin, 1 handful of green beans, 1/2 cup chopped cabbage)
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 chilli (finely chopped)
- 1+1/2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 4 Tbsp soy sauce
- Coriander (for garnish)
- Start with cooking brown rice separately in a rice cooker (20-30 mins)
- In a pan, add 1 Tbsp coconut oil, garlic and chillies. Saute for 1 min, till the garlic aroma starts fading and then add all the chopped veggies along with 1 Tbsp salt
- Cover the pan and let the veggies cook for 15-20 mins on medium heat. Make sure the veggies don’t become mushy; they should be fully cooked, but retain a bit of crunchiness. Remove the veggies in a bowl and set them aside
- Now in the same pan, heat the remaining 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil and add 1/2 cup of coconut flakes. Saute on medium heat for a couple of minutes, till the coconut flakes begin to change color; do not brown the flakes 😉
- Add cooked rice to this pan. Continue to mix brown rice with the coconut flakes for 2 mins. Then, add the bowl of veggies, along with soy sauce. Mix well. Cover and cook for another 5min so that they absorb all the flavors
- Garnish with coriander and serve!
- Surprise folks with the 4:1 veggie rice combination in this dish!
- Coconut flakes and garlic lend an great unexpected flavor combination
- The nuttiness of brown rice goes well with all the veggies than white rice.
- Feel free to adjust salt, soy sauce, add chilli sauce in the end per your taste
Give this a try and let me know what you think!