Have you ever wondered, how do we take care of our most intricate body part, that is unique to us humans, we can only access it by our thoughts or some complex scientific procedure and that even science hasn’t been able to figure it out completely as yet!
Yes. Thats our brain. It actively works while we are awake processing millions of signals each receives from every cell of the body, and unconsciously streaming dreams while we are asleep. For this non stop activity, our brain needs some exercise.
Learning new things, stepping out of the comfort zones, solving complex problems keeps it active. But whatever we do we would still be using under 10% of our brain’s potential. And in our modern lifestyles we are making things even worse.
Most of us are in jobs where we do the same things over and over again. We are constantly deferring to ‘why remember something when you have google’. We stay in our lanes. The result – our memory muscles, creative muscles, sensory muscles, imaginative muscles.. get weak. And the ones we use more often get tired easily.
We can’t let that happen especially when there is such an easy and soothing solution to it. “The humming bee” Pranayama. This one exercise creates vibrations so strong that they can reach deep into the realms of the human brain keeping all its muscles supple and active.
- Start with sitting in a comfortable position
- Use your thumb and fingers to gently close your ears and eyes.
- Take a deep breath and as you exhale, exhale from the throat keeping the mouth shut and tongue touching the top of the mouth.
- You will feel ‘hhhhhummmmm’ voice, similar to that at the end of an ‘Om’ chant or that of a humming bee
- Repeat this for 3-10times
- And…before you rush to open your eyes, take a moment to feel the vibrations like a gentle massage to your brain
So don’t forget your brain, when you finish off your daily set of exercises!