I got up today morning to a temperature of “36 degrees outside, feels like 47 degrees” due to the intense humidity and air quality. It was so hot that I couldn’t think of cooking anything for breakfast and I wanted something cool to kick start the day. Some fiddling around the kitchen led me to….Fruits, juices! I laced up my shoes and ran to the fruit shop. 20min later I was gulping down 3 cups of the most refreshing juice I have ever had!
Prep time: 5min | Cook time: 2min | Makes 4 glasses
- 1/2 watermelon, roughly cut into pieces
- 2 tsp black rock salt / Himalayan rock salt
- 10 mint leaves, finely chopped
- Ice cubes (optional)
- Put the watermelon pieces into the juicer or blend it (Watermelon has 92% water content, so even if you juice it, you waste very little fibre but end up avoiding the hassle of taking out the seeds. If you decide to blend, do remove the seeds upfront)
- Add mint leaves
- Add 1/2 tsp of black rock salt to every glass of juice
- Add ice cubes / cool the juice in the refrigerator for 20min before drinking
(Himalayan Rock salt has been much praised in Ayurveda because of its high sulphur content. Compared to the readily available, processed and bleached “white” salt version, Himalayan salt is still widely available in its unprocessed state, grind into granules, maintaining its pink/black color.
While you can use the Himalayan rock salt to season absolutely anything, its match with watermelon is one made in heaven. Add a couple of mint leaves and you are sure to say this is THE MOST REFRESHING drink you have ever had and wont be able to stop at one!)