As I was walking home from office today, I started thinking about what should I cook for dinner tonight.
My thought process: So, I have one whole cabbage in my fridge. I don’t think there is any other vegetable left. I am leaving for Switzerland tomorrow, which means I have to pack tonight and have no spare time to go buy vegetables and the last thing I want to do is waste any vegetable. That means – lets get creative in the kitchen!
After a couple of web searches, I stumbled upon this recipe of cabbage and quinoa, modified it a bit and just slowly went through the cooking process to get to this surprisingly delicious meal! It is going to be my go-to under 15min Wholesome dinner recipe!
Prep Time: 5min, Cooking time: 10min | Makes 4 bowls
- 1 cup quinoa, washed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 whole cabbage, finely cut length wise
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 10-20 almonds, halved
- 1 can / 1 cup of boiled chickpeas
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt (more as needed)
- Prep Quinoa: In a deep pan, add 1 tbsp oil, garlic and tomato paste. Stir it for a minute and add water. Once the water gets to a gentle boil, add quinoa and cover pan with the lid on medium flame. Let it cook for 10-15min till all the water has evaporated. Turn off the flame and leave the pan covered for another 5min. Quinoa should be nice and fluffy now!
- Prep the mix: In the second pan, add 1 tbsp oil and the chillis. Add almonds and stir till they are golden. Add turmeric and cabbage with some salt. Cook cabbage till it is mildly wilted. Add chickpeas and mix it all together for another 2min and turn off the heat
- Mix it all up: add quinoa to the cabbage, mix it up, add lemon juice and mix it up again, before taking a huge first bite into your mouth 🙂
Cheers to Unexpected discoveries!